Rolling hills of heritage farmlands blended with esteemed Ontario cottage country and vibrant urban landscapes are what makes Peterborough & the Kawarthas unique as a destination for both visitors and investment. Agriculture is a major driving force in our region, and within the Province of Ontario. Throughout Ontario, agriculture supports nearly 158,000 jobs with $8.1B in wages and salaries.
- Peterborough & the Kawarthas is a community committed to sustainability and is one of only a few Ontario communities with a Sustainability scorecard.
- We are part of the Peterborough-Kawarthas-Haliburton region which has been designated a Regional Centre of Expertise in Education for Sustainable Development by the United Nations University as endorsed by The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). One of 8 RCEs in all of Canada.
- As of 2016, there were over 900 farms operating in the region – with farms growing everything from grain and oilseeds, to livestock, to fresh produce and everything in-between.
- In peak season, there are eight farmers’ markets that operate throughout Peterborough & the Kawarthas.
Notably, the region has a vibrant food scene filled with fresh ideas and even fresher ingredients. The agriculture sector is well-supported by chefs at restaurants from the heart of downtown to lakeside cottage resorts and everywhere in between.
- There are over 300 diverse dining establishments in Peterborough & the Kawarthas. The chefs that work and live here artfully offer up food that embraces local ingredients with global flairs, often choosing to locate here because of the amazing access to passionate producers and great local products.
Engaged Educational Institutions
- Bright minds in Peterborough & the Kawarthas are learning, analyzing, and finding solutions to some of the world’s most complex problems.
- Through Trent University’s School of the Environment they have recently launched a Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems program. Through this program, undergraduate students are learning about the ethics, economics and environment of sustainable food and farming in our community and throughout the globe.
- Fleming College offers a three-semester Sustainable Agriculture program to support new farmers in the applied learning needed to enter the agricultural field with sustainable, ecological and natural farming methods in mind.
In Good Company with Global Leaders
Peterborough & the Kawarthas is home to a few key leaders in the agri-food sector including:
- Minute Maid (including new Fairlife milk production facility)
- Sysco Central Ontario Inc.
Emerging Food & Agriculture Successes
- Entomo Farms
- Yorkshire Valley Farms
- Harley Farms
- Farms at Work
- 4-H – Peterborough County
- Dairy Farmers of Ontario
- East Central Soil & Crop Association
- Junior Farmers
- Food in Peterborough
- Peterborough County Federation of Agriculture
- Peterborough County Holstein Club
- The Peterborough County Cattlemen
Rural Economic Development Officer
705-743-0777 Ext. 2160
As the Rural Economic Development Officer, Gabi works with the Peterborough region’s rural communities and businesses to identify rural and agriculture-based investment opportunities. Gabi develops and converts leads and inquiries into investment expansion, job creation and development activities that ultimately help to create a thriving economy, resulting in regional prosperity.
Kawartha Choice FarmFresh
Find, buy, eat, and experience local food near you in the Kawartha Region.