With a community of operations at and in close proximity to Peterborough’s Airport and aerospace business park, Peterborough is a leading base for national and international manufacturing, repair and overhaul; research and development; and training.
The Peterborough region offers excellent access to unrestricted airspace, a highly skilled workforce, industry leading training facilities, desirable infrastructure to reduce top line costs and serves as an excellent launching point for national, U.S. and global markets.
In Ontario, the aerospace sector is the 2nd largest in Canada. Location-wise, easy access to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Eastern United States makes Peterborough an attractive place from which to connect the aerospace market. Peterborough is only 2 hours away from the U.S border, and has a lower cost of doing business compared to larger markets. We have lower corporate tax rates (25% compared to 36% US average) and business operating costs in Ontario are 93.7% of US business operating costs.
Southern Ontario has the highest concentration of advanced manufacturing industries in Canada, including aerospace. Along the Southern Ontario corridor, Peterborough is a top aerospace hub for manufacturing and MRO and is poised as one of Southern Ontario’s most up-an-coming centres for growth with more than $40 million in infrastructure investments for business.
- Ideally located between Toronto and Ottawa
- Low Cost of doing business
- Airside Land Lease (2019) @ $CAD 0.3032 per square foot /year
- Rents as low as $CAD 15.00 /sqft for new hangar space
The Peterborough Airport (YPQ) boasts the longest civil runway (7000 ft) between Toronto and Ottawa, which supports Boeing 737-900 and Airbus 320 operations, and is one of the busiest small airports in Canada.
YPQ Profile – Developing at the Peterborough Airport
- Member of the Southern Ontario Airport Network (SOAN)
- >$40M in infrastructure updates
- 7000 ft runway
- Fully serviced ground-side lots (hydro, natural gas, communications fibre, water and sewer) available to aviation and aerospace related businesses not requiring runway access.
- Fully serviced airside lots – 30 acres of land (hydro, natural gas, communications fibre, water and sewer)
The Peterborough Airport offers a robust supply chain including FBO, MRO, parts suppliers, and service providers. It is currently home to approximately 20 businesses , the majority of which fall into GA, Education and Training and MRO. There are also a number of private tenants that use the Airport for business/recreation flights.
Ideal for Maintenance, Repair & Overhaul (MRO) Business
- No curfews; environmental approvals in place for MRO hangar facilities
- Parts suppliers, avionics and turbine engine support
- Overnight couriers to major centres
- Flying Colours (Global MRO Facility)
- Rolls-Royce Civil Nuclear Canada
- Safran Electronics Canada
- Siemens Electronics
Access to Highly Qualified Talent
The Peterborough Airport is home to Seneca College’s School of Aviation, offering flight training and classroom instruction and it’s just minutes away from Fleming College’s Kawartha Trades & Technology Centre, as well as Trent University’s Centre for Biomaterials Research, with the recent successful completion of research leading to the development of low-temperature, biodegradable and sustainable lubricants and the development of compounds which act as fuel additives. It’s also important to note that Peterborough’s Holy Cross Secondary School offers programming in Aviation and Aerospace. Equally important is the long history in local manufacturing culture – The Kawartha Manufacturers Association, 50 members strong provides a labour market that is filled with highly qualified professionals.
Peterborough’s convenient location also offers close proximity to the University of Ontario’s Institute of Technology for expertise in engineering and applied science.
Flying Colours Sees Business Soaring – Aviation International News
- Peterborough Airport
- Business Toolkit for Investors and Local Companies
- Aerospace Investment in Ontario
- Southern Ontario Airport Network
- New Partnership Announcement with Fleming College, Flying Colours Corp, Safran Electronics and Defence Canada, The Loomex Group and Team Eagle Ltd
Director of Business Development
705-743-0777 ext. 2127
As Director of Business Development, Suzanne leads a team of Economic Development Officers to support and assist existing businesses, potential investors and local municipal initiatives.
Seneca Aviation School
Flight training and classroom instruction for years two to four of the Honours Bachelor of Aviation Technology program is at the state-of-the-art Peterborough Campus.
Peterborough Airport is proud to be celebrating 50 years of operation and the City of Peterborough is celebrating the 50th anniversary throughout 2019.