Peterborough & the Kawarthas is a region that has been shaped by two key things: innovative minds and our connection to water with the Trent-Severn Waterway winding its way through our landscapes.
It is not just the rich natural resources but the business and innovation ecosystem, well-equipped labs and homegrown talent from local educational institutions and major municipal investments into development opportunities, that shapes the success of cleantech businesses that call this region “home”.
Cleantech Commons at Trent University
Peterborough & the Kawarthas has designated real estate inventory for Cleantech businesses – where development charges are waived. Cleantech Commons at Trent University is a new 85-acre research and technology park under development adjacent to Trent University. This is an ideal place for clean technology companies focused in water technology, wastewater treatment, biomaterials and agri-food can access the highly-specialized talent, facilities and research they need to grow.Learn More About Cleantech Commons
- Peterborough & the Kawarthas is a community committed to sustainability and is one of only a few Ontario communities with a Sustainability scorecard.
- We are part of the Peterborough-Kawarthas-Haliburton region which has been designated a Regional Centre of Expertise in Education for Sustainable Development by the United Nations University as endorsed by The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). One of 8 RCEs in all of Canada.
- Strategically located in central Ontario
- Parts suppliers, avionics and turbine engine support
- Overnight couriers to major centres
Engaged Educational Institutions
Bright minds in Peterborough & the Kawarthas are learning, analyzing, and finding solutions to some of the world’s most complex environmental problems. The region’s academic institutions boast world-class research facilities, and are actively partnering with local cleantech startups.
- Trent University has one of the largest Environmental & Life Sciences graduate programs in Canada with over 175 grad students per year – a huge source of market-ready graduates for full-time work or students looking for co-op programs and undergraduate student internships.
- Fleming College’s Kawarthas Trades and Technology Centre is an 87,000 square foot trades and technology skills training facility, located on the college’s Sutherland Campus in Peterborough that provides facilities for teaching and training students from Fleming College, regional secondary schools and regional industry
Peterborough was ranked the #2 City in Canada for a water-tech startup by Water Canada
In Good Company with Global Leaders
- SGS Canada
- Safran Electronics Canada
- Siemens Milltronics Process Instruments Inc.
- Rolls-Royce Naval Marine Canada
Emerging Cleantech Company Successes
- Rainmaker Worldwide
- Phase Materials
- Noblegen Inc.