Peterborough & the Kawarthas is a region that has been shaped by two key things: innovative minds and our connection to water with the Trent-Severn Waterway winding its way through our landscapes.
It is not just the rich natural resources but the business and innovation ecosystem, well-equipped labs and homegrown talent from local educational institutions and major municipal investments into development opportunities, that shapes the success of cleantech businesses that call this region “home”.
Cleantech Commons at Trent University
Peterborough & the Kawarthas has designated real estate inventory for Cleantech businesses – where development charges are waived. Cleantech Commons at Trent University is a new 85-acre research and technology park under development adjacent to Trent University. This is an ideal place for clean technology companies focused in water technology, wastewater treatment, biomaterials and agri-food can access the highly-specialized talent, facilities and research they need to grow.Learn More About Cleantech Commons
- Peterborough & the Kawarthas is a community committed to sustainability and is one of only a few Ontario communities with a Sustainability scorecard.
- We are part of the Peterborough-Kawarthas-Haliburton region which has been designated a Regional Centre of Expertise in Education for Sustainable Development by the United Nations University as endorsed by The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). One of 8 RCEs in all of Canada.
- Strategically located in central Ontario
- A living lab located along the Trent-Severn Waterway with over 150+ lakes
- 2 post secondary institutions in the region with dedicated talent and resources for cleantech companies
- Peterborough Kawartha Haliburton is designated as a Regional Centre of Expertise for Sustainable Development by the United Nations University as endorsed by UNESCO – 1 of only 8 RCE’s in Canada.
The Innovation Cluster in Peterborough & the Kawarthas supports determine, innovative entrepreneurs in the formation and growth of their technology-driven companies. Focusing on four key sectors, including cleantech, the Innovation Cluster’s dynamic programming ensures that startups throughout Peterborough & the Kawarthas find their best path to market. The Innovation Cluster operated The Cube, Peterborough’s two full service business incubators at Trent University and in Downtown Peterborough.
Engaged Educational Institutions
Bright minds in Peterborough & the Kawarthas are learning, analyzing, and finding solutions to some of the world’s most complex environmental problems. The region’s academic institutions boast world-class research facilities, and are actively partnering with local cleantech startups.
- Trent University has one of the largest Environmental & Life Sciences graduate programs in Canada with over 175 students graduating per year with their undergraduate degree in Environmental Science/Studies at Trent University – a huge source of market-ready graduates for full-time work or students looking for co-op programs and undergraduate student internships.
- The Water Quality Centre at Trent University is the most comprehensive mass spectrometry facility in Canada, specializing in method development and the application of new and innovative techniques for measuring isotopes and trace amounts of organic and inorganic contaminants in water and other environmental compartments. Analytical services and mass spectrometer training courses are available to researchers, government agencies and private companies.
- The Innovation Cluster recently launched the cleantech Trent Makerspace located at Trent University, a world-class lab facility for cleantech companies to produce, test and commercialize IP based biotechnology products. The Innovation Cluster’s downtown incubator will also have a newly launched cleantech lab space with over $50,000 of bench top watertech equipment available for innovators to use including water bacteria test equipment, Hach portable spectrophotometer, sample bottles/beakers, buffer agents for all water tests and a Hach HQD11, portable pH meter.
- Fleming College’s Kawarthas Trades and Technology Centre is an 87,000 square foot trades and technology skills training facility, located on the college’s Sutherland Campus in Peterborough that provides facilities for teaching and training students from Fleming College, regional secondary schools and regional industry.
- Fleming College’s Centre for the Advancement of Water and Wastewater Technologies (CAWT) is an internationally recognized water and wastewater research institute, located at the Frost Campus, providing applied research and technology development services to the private sector, government and non-governmental agencies, and universities.
- Located just a short drive away from Peterborough & the Kawarthas in Oshawa is the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT), which is home to a Clean Energy Research Lab (CERL) The CERL is a world-class facility where researchers are working on the world’s first lab-scale demonstration of a copper-chlorine cycle for thermochemical water splitting and nuclear hydrogen production.
Peterborough was ranked the #2 City in Canada for a water-tech startup by Water Canada
In Good Company with Global Leaders
- SGS Canada
- Safran Electronics Canada
- Siemens Milltronics Process Instruments Inc.
- Rolls-Royce Naval Marine Canada
Emerging Cleantech Company Successes
- Rainmaker Worldwide
- Phase Materials
- Noblegen Inc.