Fishing put Peterborough & the Kawarthas on the vacation map over a hundred years ago, and today it’s still a favourite, because, hands down, we have a unique blend of cool- and warm-water lakes with some of the best fishing in southern Ontario. It’s no coincidence that the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters calls this place home, as there are 151 lakes here, and you can drop your line in any of them and try your luck, year round.
Fishing has been a key economic driver for many lakeside resorts and retreats for generations, and it continues to be the lifeblood of many of them today. As a means to continually improve the economic conditions of the region, Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism held an educational session in the spring of 2016 with a group of tourism operators who are keen on fishing to drive their business. The session included a guest appearance from a celebrity from a well-known Canadian fishing television show, as well as provincial tourism representatives who presented on the current state of the fishing market in the province.
As a result of the session, many local tourism businesses had the opportunity to increase their market presence through the province’s marketing efforts in Canada, the US and abroad. Peterborough & the Kawarthas Tourism was also able to work with the province to secure 5 national television shows including Extreme Angler, Bob Izumi’s Real Fishing, and 2 episodes on Fish ‘n Canada as well as a number of Ontario-based radio shows, blogs and news features which focused on a variety of fishing experiences and resorts in the area.
Here are a few of the print/television shows on fishing in Peterborough & the Kawarthas
- Multi Species Adventures in the Kawarthas (SheLovesToFish.com)
- Closing out the summer in the Kawarthas (Kingston Whig Standard Newspaper)
- Young Angler Reels in his First Carp (Kingston Whig Standard Newspaper)
- The Fish of a Lifetime: Ontario Fishing Adventure (Northern Ontario Travel website) –
- Multi Species Adventures in the Kawarthas (Midwest Outdoors magazine and online article)
- Muskie Madness – Bob Izumi’s Real Fishing
- High Traffic Carp – Fish n’ Canada
- Clear Lake Bass – Fish n’ Canada
For more information on fishing in Peterborough & the Kawarthas visit www.thekawarthas.ca/fishing