Small businesses and entrepreneurs add a uniqueness to the fabric of our business communities.
Over half of the businesses in Peterborough & the Kawarthas are owner operated, with a wide range of offerings – from finance to food businesses, from manufacturing to the arts, from healthcare to agriculture and everything in-between.
- Peterborough is a designated Startup Community through the Startup Canada Communities Network.
- Home to a number of award winning innovative startups.
- Peterborough has the highest rate of immigrant entrepreneurs in Canada. 36% of New Canadians in our region own and operate a business.
Find Support to Succeed
- Our region has a robust support network for entrepreneurs with a number of Community Partners who offer a range of support including funding, mentorship, networking, training, and incubator space.
- A welcoming region that strives to see small businesses succeed
Entrepreneurial-Minded Educational Institutions
Peterborough & the Kawarthas is educating the next generation of business owners. At our post-secondary institutions students are learning, analyzing, and finding 21st century solutions across a variety of sectors.
- Trent University’s School of Business offers a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) with a number of specializations including Entrepreneurship
- Trent University also recently launched a Postgraduate Certificate Program in Marketing & Entrepreneurship which takes undergrads through an intensive 8 month program
- Fleming College has graduates in a number of disciplines, including skilled trades who pursue entrepreneurial career paths
Interim Entrepreneurship Officer:
Business Advisory Centre
As the interim Entrepreneurship Officer that oversees the Starter Company Plus program, Hillary leads the development of services for entrepreneurs through the Business Advisory Centre (BAC) program to guide small business talent and investments in the Peterborough region.